Also referred to as "cupping therapy", dynamic cupping massage combines traditional massage movements along with the use of a suction device (typically a cup) to create negative pressure on the skin. Special cups are applied to the treatment area in order to increase blood flow and relieve heat and stagnation in areas of the body that are tense, tight or in pain. The word "dynamic" refers to using the cups to make sweeping motions along the length and width of the muscles to identify and relieve any adhesions that are discovered between layers of fascia, as this is often a source of muscle pain or stiffness.
Dynamic Cupping Massage
While this unique treatment has recently enjoyed somewhat of a renaissance in terms of its popularity, this practice is nothing new--in fact, the origins of this treatment can be traced back thousands of years to both ancient Chinese and Egyptian medicine. Pictorial records illustrate early forms of cupping being practiced in ancient Egypt as far back as 1500 B.C., and it is well documented that ancient Greek physicians (including Hippocrates) practiced this treatment to address a host of different ailments. Some of the first crude suction devices were made from hollowed-out animal horns, but as time went on, these were replaced by regular glass cups.
Benefits of Dynamic Cupping Therapy
* Stimulates lymphatic circulation - The lymphatic system is the body's natural drainage system that flushes out toxins and removes accumulated waste. This massage treatment stimulates the flow and circulation of lymph, which will prevent excess toxins from accumulating in the affected area.
* Encourages blood flow - The suction and gliding action of the cups stimulates an increase of blood flow to sore or pain-riddled muscles. This increases the supply of oxygen to those muscles, carrying essential nutrients that can nourish and repair damaged tissue.
* Stretches out the muscles - The "vacuum effect" of this treatment can stretch out the muscles, decompressing them by smoothing out knots and relieving stiffness. The action of gliding the cup across the affected area can also stretch out the connective tissue (a.k.a. fascia), reducing overall tension.
* Reduces stagnation - Tight, tense muscles produce stagnation, which means that blood flow is hindered and the lymphatic system has a difficult time flushing out accumulated waste. When this happens, it's easy for nerves or blood vessels to become impinged, often producing numbness or tingling in the hands and/or feet. This tension-busting treatment can eliminate stagnation and bring relief to compressed areas.
Common Conditions Treated by Cupping
There are a number of common ailments that can be treated using dynamic cupping massage, including:
- Shoulder, neck, and back pain
- Numbness in hands or feet
- Rotator Cuff Syndrome
- Hip tension
- Upper leg pain
- Knee pain
- IT Band Syndrome
- Achilles Tendonitis
- Shin splints
- Plantar Fasciitis
As you can see, dynamic cupping therapy is a highly useful treatment that can address a wide range of health issues. If you're looking for a simple, safe and all-natural solution for chronic muscle tension, pain and/or soreness, you should definitely consider this time-honored treatment as a viable option from Blissful Balance RMT.